Real Madrid’s former president Lorenzo Sanz died on Saturday, with the 76-year-old having been hospitalised after contracting coronavirus.
Former Real Madrid president Lorenzo Sanz has died at the age of 76 after contracting the coronavirus.
Sanz was president of Madrid between 1995 and 2000, presiding over two Champions League triumphs, one LaLiga title and the Spanish giants winning the now-defunct European Cup Winners’ Cup.
He had been admitted to hospital this week with coronavirus-like symptoms, the pandemic having sent Spain and other nations into lockdown.
Sanz’s son, Lorenzo, on Saturday confirmed his father’s passing on Twitter before LaLiga and Madrid released statements.
“My father has just died,” he wrote. “He did not deserve it to end in this manner. One of the best, most courageous and hard working people I have seen in my life. His family and Real Madrid were his passion.”
#LaLiga offers its sincerest condolences to the family of Lorenzo Sanz, ex-president of Real Madrid. Rest in peace.
— LaLiga English (@LaLigaEN) March 21, 2020
In a statement issued on their official website, Madrid said: “Real Madrid, its president and the board of directors regret with great consternation the death of Lorenzo Sanz, who was president of Real Madrid from 1995 to 2000.
“They also want to express their deepest condolences and all their affection and affection to his wife Mari Luz, their children, Lorenzo, Francisco, Fernando, María Luz [Malula] and Diana, and their family and friends. Condolences that also extend to all Real Madrid.
“Today, Real Madrid is mourning the loss of a president who dedicated a large part of his life to his great passion: Real Madrid.
“Given the current circumstances, Real Madrid will pay him the recognition he deserves as soon as possible.”
Madrid captain Sergio Ramos tweeted: “Very sad day for Real Madrid. Lorenzo Sanz connected yesterday and today with two numbers for the story: 7 and 8 [Champions League triumphs in 1998 and 2000}.
“His death saddens even more these difficult days in which we find ourselves. My deep condolences to family and friends. Rest in peace.”
Legendary former Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas also paid his respects.
He tweeted: “DEP President, a big hug to family and friends in these difficult times. And a very special memory for those who have also left us because of this fatal virus. Much strength to all.”
2020/2021 Laliga Season To Begin On September 12
The President of the Spanish Football Association, Laliga, Javier Tebas says, the 2020/2021 football season will begin on September 12, 2020.
Speaking in an online forum organised by Spanish newspaper Marca on Friday May 29, the president said, “God willing that day will be September 12 and hopefully we’ll be able to say we have overcome this most difficult period but at least we will be better prepared.”
“The important thing will be when the season finishes although we’ll only be able to congratulate ourselves when we start the following season,” Tebas added.
The information comes after government approval last week. With the current season set to start up again on June 11 and finish on July 19, all matches will be played without spectators although fixtures are yet to be officially confirmed. FC Sevilla will take on Real Betis FC in the opening match. Barcelona led Real Madrid by two points at the top of the table when La Liga was halted in March.
Spain’s top-flight division one football championship was suspended in March due to the coronavirus pandemic
The president also revealed that, despite the COVID-19 pandemic, organisers have been working hard behind the scenes for the restart the season practical, although many of the logistical problems will depend on how the country’s regional governments are easing lockdown measures.
Going by him, there are more than 130 people at La Liga working so that everything can be done, in a new way: travelling, organisation, everything.
Restrictions are gradually being lifted across Spanish territories, with several areas now having moved from Phase One to Phase Two.
Tebas has led the campaign to get the season back on track since it was postponed on March 12, warning that clubs could lose up to one billion euros ($1.11 billion) collectively if the remaining 11 rounds of matches could not be completed.
Nevertheless, the German Bundesliga has already played three match days following its restart earlier this month, while the English Premier League and Italy’s Serie A are also set to return in mid-June. But the top-flight seasons in France, Belgium and the Netherlands have all been<
By Etienne Mainimo
Coronavirus: LaLiga Fest raises €625k as Pique talks of ‘invincible’ unity
LaLiga stars and musicians came together for LaLiga Fest on Saturday, where a huge sum was raised to buy medical equipment.
LaLiga Fest raised more than €625,000 on Saturday as Barcelona stalwart Gerard Pique spoke of the need for unity amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Where Saturday nights would normally consist of fixtures in Spain’s top flight, the live action was restricted to performances on an internet stream.
A host of LaLiga stars – including Pique – addressed supporters, while musicians performed at the online festival.
Fans were encouraged to donate to the Banco Santander Foundation, where the money would be used to buy medical equipment to combat COVID-19.
There have been over 72,000 confirmed cases of the virus in Spain, with close to 6,000 deaths.
The total raised ticked past €625,000 as the festival ended, although donations would continue to be welcomed until Sunday afternoon.
Barca’s Pique was the most high-profile star to address those watching, as he claimed players and supporters alike could be “invincible together”.
“Without training, at home and trying to stay in shape, it is not easy,” the World Cup winner said. “We will get through it between all of us.
And above all…
Thanks to YOU!
— LaLiga English (@LaLigaEN) March 28, 2020
“It is a difficult situation, but doing something like what LaLiga is doing makes us feel proud of the players and the fans.
“It is something unique that means any LaLiga fan is able to contribute their grain of sand. I am very happy to be able to participate in such an initiative.
“There is rivalry when we are on the field of play, but when people need us, we are united.
“There will be a cost, it is difficult, we will have difficult times. Others will suffer it in person, but we have to make it through together. We are all invincible together.”
Coronavirus: Ex-Barcelona goalkeeper Rustu Recber hospitalised with COVID-19
Rustu Recber returned a positive coronavirus test and has been hospitalised in Turkey.
Turkey great Rustu Recber has been hospitalised after testing positive for coronavirus, his wife Isil has revealed.
Goalkeeper Rustu spent much of his club career at Fenerbahce, including a loan stint with the Turkish Super Lig giants during a three-year stay at Barcelona.
A star of the 2002 World Cup, Rustu played just seven times for Barca – all within the 2003-04 season – but retired aged 39 in 2012 with 120 international caps to his name.
The 46-year-old’s wife Isil posted on her Instagram page on Saturday to inform fans of her husband’s diagnosis.
“I would like to give you more positive news while sharing the truth in the most transparent way, but I’m sorry to say that my husband Rustu is hospitalised with the diagnosis of COVID-19,” she wrote.
“We are shocked by the rapid symptoms that developed suddenly when everything was normal. These are critical and difficult times.
“May Allah give emergency relief to all patients, including my dear husband.
“My only request is that people can be a little more conscientious and respectful in the process. In the tests we have done, my daughter and son were negative and only my husband was positive.
“For this reason, we are at home while he’s in hospital, and we are not allowed to see him. In fact, this is the most difficult part, not being able to be with him.
“Allah is great and is entrusted to him and the Turkish doctors. I hope this will pass.”
Asante Kotoko To Have A Change In The Management Panel
Views: 7 Public Relations Officer of Asante Kotoko, Kennedy Boakye-Ansah has reiterated that the new board of the club will...
Ghana Premier League Has Been Called Off.
Views: 18 Breaking news: Ghana Premier league has been called off. Report reaching the desks of Kumasi fm can exclusively...
Teeboy Kamara Ready To Play For Leone Stars
Views: 7 Teeboy Kamara is a Liberian-born Australian footballer of Liberian extraction. He wants to play for Liberia, though he...
Yaounde: Francois Ngoumou Announces a Pre-season Tournament
International solidarity tournament organised by coach François Ngoumou will pit 15 Cameroonian elite one and two clubs in a preseason...
The Ghana Football Association Is Set To Receive A COVID-19 Relief Package From The Confederation Of African Football.
Views: 9 The Ghana FA will be receiving USD $185,200 as its share of the US $10.8 million package to...
Resuming African Leagues ?FIFA measures DOUBT IT
FIFA, WHO and football stakeholders draft medical considerations and risk assessment tool which are a series of measures to "FACILITATE"...
شروط الفيفا تهدد عودة الدوري المصري
Views: 20 أصدر الفيفا نشرة دورية بالإجراءات الواجب توافرها لعودة النشاط الرياضي جاء في البند الثاني منها الاشتراطات المطلوبة لعودة...
Former Ghana Defender Samuel Osei Kuffour picks Former Cameroon Goal Machine Samuel Eto’o as Africa’s Greatest Footballer of all Time.
Views: 16 Former Ghana Defender Samuel Kuffour picks former Cameroon goal machine Samuel Eto’o as Africa’s Greatest Footballer of all...
France: Discover The 11 Nominees Of The Prestigious Marc Vivien Foe Award
Views: 41 Radio France Internationale (RFI) has announced the list of nominees for the yearly Marc-Vivien Foé Award. The winner,...
The Championship Can Resume On June 20 – Italian Sport Minister
The green light has been given for Italy’s Serie A football championship to begin on June 20.
Cambodia suspend all football tournaments across country to combat COVID-19
Views: 8 Cambodia has become the latest country in Southeast Asia to suspend all footballing activities including the 2020 Cambodian...
Former Myanmar national team captain Yan Aung Kyaw to retire at the end of 2020 season
Views: 3 Yangon United and Myanmar veteran midfielder Yan Aung Kyaw has announced that he will retire from professional football the...
Stephanie Catley scores winner as Melbourne City edge Sydney FC 1-0 in W-League Grand Final
Views: 10 Melbourne City FC edged Sydney 1-0 in the 2019-20 W-League Grand Final at the AAMI Park in Melbourne...
Health of players, officials and fans always our priority, says AFC amidst COVID-19 disruption
Views: 4 The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) has said that the health of the players, officials and fans is their...
Reports: Football Federation Australia set to suspend A-League season due to COVID-19
Views: 5 Football Federation Australia (FFA) is reportedly all set to announce the suspension of the 2019-20 season of A-League...
Philippines good enough to play against any team anywhere: Azkals coach Scott Cooper
Views: 7 Philippines national football team coach Scott Cooper believes that the Azkals have made tremendous leap in quality during...
Korea Football Association turns national training centre into COVID-19 treatment clinic
Views: 7 The Korea Football Association (KFA) has decided to transform its state-of-the-art National Football Centre in Paju into a...
Singapore starlet Ikhsan Fandi’s potential move to Norwegian top division club held up due to COVID-19
Views: 12 Singapore international striker Ikhsan Fandi’s potential move from Norway’s second division to its top flight has been held...
Malaysia Premier League outfit Kelantan FA set to cut player salaries due to COVID-19 losses
Views: 16 Malaysia Premier League outfit Kelantan FA could be cutting their players’ salaries due to the financial impact rising...
IR Iran to face 2018 FIFA World Cup finalists Croatia in international friendly match – Reports
Views: 19 IR Iran national football team are set to take on 2018 FIFA World Cup finalists Croatia in an...