Connect with us

Premier league

Manchester City and Manchester United join forces for local food banks

Published

on

Manchester City and Manchester United compensated for the temporary loss of matchday food bank contributions with a £100,000 donation.

Premier League rivals Manchester City and Manchester United have joined forces to donate £100,000 to food banks in the city to help relieve the strain on resources during the coronavirus pandemic.

The clubs came together to donate £50,000 each to the Trussell Trust to help the charity cope with the loss of donations that supporters regularly make on matchdays during the suspension of football across the country.

There are 19 Trussell Trust food banks across Manchester that will benefit from the clubs’ donations, which both City and United are promoting via their social media channels with the hashtag ‘#ACITYUNITED’.

A joint statement published on both clubs’ official websites said: “We are proud of the role our supporters play in helping local food banks and recognise the increased strain likely to be placed on these charities by the impact of coronavirus.

“At a time of challenge for our community, we are pleased to come together with our fans to help vulnerable members of society in a City United.”

 

The rivalry between City and United was as strong as ever prior to the suspension of the season, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side claiming local bragging rights with a 2-0 victory in the derby at Old Trafford on March 8.

But representatives from both sets of supporters voiced their commitment to standing side-by-side to help the city through the current health crisis.

The Trussell Trust’s senior operations manager Rachel Macklin said: “As the coronavirus pandemic develops, more people than ever may need help from food banks across our network. We’re working closely with our network to understand each food bank’s situation, offer guidance, and work out how we can best support them.

“We know we won’t be able to do this alone, so we are truly grateful for the support Manchester United and Manchester City are showing local food banks.”

A spokesperson for MCFC Fans’ Foodbank Support added: “We’re delighted that City and United have donated such a huge amount to Fans Supporting Foodbanks.

“We’d like to thank everyone on both sides for demonstrating that hunger doesn’t wear club colours, and for the show of community solidarity.”

Please follow and like us:
error20
fb-share-icon0
Tweet 20
fb-share-icon20
Advertisement
Loading...
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Premier league

Rashford edging closer to full fitness: I feel 10 times better now

Published

on

He has been out since mid-January but Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford says he is edging closer to a return to training.

Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford is in a “much better place” than a month ago as he nears a return to full fitness.

Rashford has been out since mid-January due to a back injury, with United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer saying earlier this month the club would not rush his comeback.

The England international is making good progress, though, and suggests he will be ready to resume training once the squad are cleared to go back to work after the coronavirus pandemic.

“I feel much better,” Rashford told Sky Sports News. “I have a scan in another couple of days and that should solidify it, but I feel much better compared to two or three weeks ago.

“I feel 10 times better now. For me, now it’s just about getting ready to build back up to training and then playing games for the team.

“I’m in a much better place. I’m much happier than I was about a month ago, so things are looking positive.”

 

Rashford says his recent rehabilitation has been carried out at home due to the restrictions put in place to control the impact of COVID-19.

“Everyone is just dealing with the circumstances as well as they can,” he added.

“I’ve just been in my house doing my gym work and recovery, reading books, watching Netflix and just doing what I can do to make the time pass further.

“There’s not really anything you can do that comes close to being in the changing room and being in the team, so I’m not trying to chase that high.

“I had to have time off anyway because of my injury, but I’m fortunate enough to have a bike in the gym downstairs. Not much in that sense has actually changed for me because I can still do my daily routine that I was doing.”

Rashford is also heading up a campaign for the FareShare charity, which aims to raise £100,000 to help supply food to children who usually have free school meals but are currently unable to access them.

“I didn’t know how high the numbers were of kids not eating at home other than school meals. That number kind of shocked me,” Rashford said.

“And then I remember speaking to a friend who was saying there was an opportunity where we can help these people and FareShare allowed us to make it work.

“I don’t think I’ve actually ever done something at such short notice before. I thought let’s try and get to £100,000 and right now we’re on £97,000.”

Please follow and like us:
error20
fb-share-icon0
Tweet 20
fb-share-icon20
Continue Reading

Premier league

Coronavirus: Brady admits Liverpool all but own title, reveals West Ham have eight in isolation

Published

on

Karren Brady has revealed West Ham have eight players showing mild symptoms of COVID-19 – and has made a U-turn over the 2019-20 season.

West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady has gone back on her previous claim that the season should be voided, saying the title is “all but owned by Liverpool” as the the Premier League aims to return to action.

Brady was criticised earlier this month for suggesting in a newspaper column that the top-flight campaign in England should be declared null and void due to the impact of the coronavirus outbreak.

She was accused of putting her own club’s interests first, with the Hammers only outside the Premier League relegation zone by virtue of goal difference.

Her suggestion riled Liverpool supporters in particular, given the expectation they will claim their first league title in 30 years should the season be completed.

She defended her initial comments, saying she was merely thinking of players and fans amid the coronavirus pandemic, but has now said the Premier League plan to “get going as soon as possible” still stands.

“It is a paradox that at a time football would be a great comfort to millions, it must not be played because, rightly, people’s health is our priority,” Brady wrote in The Sun.

 

“What is going on in our country and the world is unprecedented and the game is not a necessity – like food or healthcare.

“But to millions upon millions of us, football’s disappearance from life is very relevant indeed. So, we all want it back in a hurry.

“There’s the Premier League to be decided although, obviously, not the title – which is all but owned by Liverpool.

“But neither the Premier League nor the EFL have finished this season’s games. Plus, there is the FA Cup, continental leagues, European competitions, European Championship and almost everything in between.

“The next Premier League meeting is on Friday and the main topic of conversation will be when games can restart. When we – all Premier League clubs – last spoke, we agreed to get going again as soon as possible. And that games will run into July, if req­uired, to get this campaign finished.

“This is the plan. This is what we want to deliver.”

Brady also revealed eight West Ham players went into self-isolation after showing mild symptoms of the virus.

“Players are currently not in training and housebound to comply with social distancing rules currently in place until April 13, when we expect training to restart,” she added.

“And following further Government guidelines, we have eight West Ham players in isolation. Although I am relieved to say they are all showing mild symptoms and, along with their families, seem to be well.”

Please follow and like us:
error20
fb-share-icon0
Tweet 20
fb-share-icon20
Continue Reading

Premier league

Liverpool v Atletico going ahead was a ‘criminal act’

Published

on

Carlo Ancelotti has revealed Jurgen Klopp had concerns over the decision for Liverpool v Atletico Madrid to go ahead at a full Anfield.

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp felt staging the Champions League match against Atletico Madrid at Anfield without restrictions earlier this month was a “criminal act”, according to Carlo Ancelotti.

Everton head coach Ancelotti has spoken with Klopp amid the coronavirus pandemic and said the German had concerns over his side’s continental fixture going ahead in front of a full stadium on March 11.

Liverpool went out of the Champions League after the second leg of their last-16 tie ended in a 4-2 aggregate defeat, their last match before top-level football was widely halted due to the outbreak.

Ancelotti told Corriere dello Sport: “I heard from Klopp the other day, he told me that going ahead with the game in those conditions was a criminal act. I think he was right.”

Former Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Chelsea and Milan boss Ancelotti predicts there will be an economic “downsizing” after the virus has passed, with football feeling the effects of that.

“We are all living a life that we were not used to and that will change us profoundly,” he said. “I’m sure we will all have to downsize, starting with football.

“Today, the priority is health, limiting the contagion. When you start again, when you finish, the dates – believe me, I don’t care. At the moment, that’s the last thing on my mind.

“I hear talk about cutting salaries, suspension of payments. They seem like inopportune solutions.

“Soon the economy will change, and that’s at all levels: The TV rights will be less, players and coaches will earn less, tickets will cost less because people will have less money.

“I repeat, what matters now is to fight the virus effectively. Then, of course, if it will be possible to continue the season… otherwise, amen.”

Please follow and like us:
error20
fb-share-icon0
Tweet 20
fb-share-icon20
Continue Reading



Latest

Europe13 hours ago

Coronavirus crisis could see Ronaldo leave Juventus (Il Messaggero)

Views: 12 Cristiano Ronaldo has agreed to lower his salary to help Juventus handle the ongoing Coronavirus crisis. However, his...

South America13 hours ago

He still got it! Ronaldinho wins footvolley challenge with inmates in prison.

Views: 12 Ronaldinho has kept himself busy by playing footvolley with fellow inmates while in prison in Paraguay. The former...

France1 day ago

Coronavirus: I felt worse than Mbappe when he was tested for COVID-19 – Herrera

Views: 5 Kylian Mbappe was tested for coronavirus earlier this month, but Ander Herrera was in a worse condition. Ander...

France1 day ago

Neymar v Lautaro Martinez: Who should Barcelona sign?

Views: 4 Neymar and Lautaro Martinez have been strongly linked with a move to Barcelona. We use Opta data to...

France1 day ago

Cavani to Boca Juniors? Hopefully very soon – Bermudez

Views: 5 Jorge Bermudez discussed rumours linking Boca Juniors to Edinson Cavani. Boca Juniors sporting director Jorge Bermudez is hopeful...

Egypt2 days ago

مؤسس “بيراميدز” .. يعلن تكرار التجربة في مصر مع “لافيينا

Views: 18 Mr. Assyiouty & Mr. Haggag أنهى اليوم المستشار /نهاد حجاج “المستشار القانوني لمجموعة نوفافيرا” المملوكة لرجل الاعمال المصري...

Transfer2 days ago

Reports: Real Madrid target Liverpool’s Sadio Mane, Juventus take decision on Cristiano Ronaldo future

Views: 3 Liverpool star Sadio Mane is reportedly being pursued by Real Madrid. Could Liverpool part with Sadio Mane? The...

Transfer2 days ago

El Clasico hero reveals he ‘had three days’ to choose Real Madrid over Barcelona

Views: 1 Real Madrid’s El Clasico hero Vinicius Jr. revealed in a recent interview that he almost joined Barcelona in...

Transfer2 days ago

Roberto Carlos: I wanted Neymar at Real Madrid a long time ago

Views: 5 Real Madrid and Brazil great Roberto Carlos wanted Neymar at the LaLiga giants long ago. Roberto Carlos revealed...

Transfer2 days ago

Gianluigi Donnarumma focused on Milan amid transfer rumours

Views: 4 Milan and Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma, 21, spoke about playing for boyhood club the Rossoneri. Gianluigi Donnarumma said...

Loading…

Asia

Asia7 days ago

Cambodia suspend all football tournaments across country to combat COVID-19

Views: 5 Cambodia has become the latest country in Southeast Asia to suspend all footballing activities including the 2020 Cambodian...

Asia7 days ago

Former Myanmar national team captain Yan Aung Kyaw to retire at the end of 2020 season

Views: 3 Yangon United and Myanmar veteran midfielder Yan Aung Kyaw has announced that he will retire from professional football the...

Asia7 days ago

Stephanie Catley scores winner as Melbourne City edge Sydney FC 1-0 in W-League Grand Final

Views: 8 Melbourne City FC edged Sydney 1-0 in the 2019-20 W-League Grand Final at the AAMI Park in Melbourne...

Asia7 days ago

Health of players, officials and fans always our priority, says AFC amidst COVID-19 disruption

Views: 1 The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) has said that the health of the players, officials and fans is their...

Asia7 days ago

Reports: Football Federation Australia set to suspend A-League season due to COVID-19

Views: 2 Football Federation Australia (FFA) is reportedly all set to announce the suspension of the 2019-20 season of A-League...

Asia7 days ago

Philippines good enough to play against any team anywhere: Azkals coach Scott Cooper

Views: 1 Philippines national football team coach Scott Cooper believes that the Azkals have made tremendous leap in quality during...

Asia7 days ago

Korea Football Association turns national training centre into COVID-19 treatment clinic

Views: 2 The Korea Football Association (KFA) has decided to transform its state-of-the-art National Football Centre in Paju into a...

Asia1 week ago

Singapore starlet Ikhsan Fandi’s potential move to Norwegian top division club held up due to COVID-19

Views: 4 Singapore international striker Ikhsan Fandi’s potential move from Norway’s second division to its top flight has been held...

Asia1 week ago

Malaysia Premier League outfit Kelantan FA set to cut player salaries due to COVID-19 losses

Views: 6 Malaysia Premier League outfit Kelantan FA could be cutting their players’ salaries due to the financial impact rising...

Asia1 week ago

IR Iran to face 2018 FIFA World Cup finalists Croatia in international friendly match – Reports

Views: 7 IR Iran national football team are set to take on 2018 FIFA World Cup finalists Croatia in an...