League One club Bury FC have been hit with the devastating news that their EFL membership has been withdrawn after owner Steve Dale failed to find a buyer for the club buy the 5pm deadline on Tuesday evening.
In a statement just after 11pm on Tuesday the EFL confirmed the news saying, “The EFL Board met earlier this evening and, after a long and detailed discussion, determined that Bury FC’s membership of the English Football League be withdrawn after the deadline passed at 5pm today (Tuesday 27 August) without a successful resolution.
All of Bury’s fixtures this season had been suspended with the EFL not allowing them to play until Dale could prove the club had the funds to pay for the season, or had been bought.
Initially the deadline for the sale of the club was last Friday at midnight but there was enough evidence to suggest a deal could be done that the deadline was moved to Tuesday evening.
Fans were optimistic and turned up at Gigg Lane to get it ready for a first game of the season on Saturday afternoon.
However with just an hour to go until the 5pm deadline the deal collapsed. In their statement the EFL added, “At its meeting on 24 August 2019, the Board agreed a short extension to 5pm today (Tuesday 27 August) to enable Mr Dale and the Club to explore the possibility of a proposed sale with C&N Sporting Risk Limited, with Mr Dale having accepted their offer. Following due diligence, C&N Sporting Risk Limited opted not to pursue its interest. “Therefore, having fully considered all available options, including a number of late expressions of interest provided to the EFL, the EFL Board has unanimously determined with enormous regret that Bury’s membership be withdrawn.
“The EFL Board had maintained that there could be no further suspensions to the fixture list and that these ongoing concerns and the integrity of the competition were a significant factor in the decision.”EFL executive chair Debbie Jevans said, “Today is undoubtedly one of the darkest days in the League’s recent history. The EFL has worked determinedly and tirelessly to avoid this outcome and it is with a heavy heart that this situation has been forced upon us.”…
No one wanted to be in this position but following repeated missed deadlines, the suspension of five League fixtures, in addition to not receiving the evidence we required in regard to financial commitments and a possible takeover not materialising; the EFL Board has been forced to take the most difficult of decisions.”The EFL confirmed that League One would continue with 23 teams for the rest of the season and only three teams will be relegated.
However, there could be more devastating news with Bolton Wanderers given 14 days to come up with a buyer, or they will also have their membership withdrawn, which would leave the league with 22 teams.
The Sport Bible
Chelsea sign Senegalese goalkeeper Mendy from Rennes
Chelsea on Thursday announced the signing of goalkeeper Edouard Mendy from Rennes on a five-year deal for a reported fee of £22 million ($28 million).
The Senegal international will compete for a starting spot with Kepa Arrizabalaga, who has struggled for form and confidence at Stamford Bridge.
He is Frank Lampard’s seventh senior signing of a busy summer following the arrivals of Timo Werner, Hakim Ziyech, Ben Chilwell, Kai Havertz, Thiago Silva and Malang Sarr.
“I am so excited to be joining Chelsea,” said Mendy. “It’s a dream for me to be a part of this exciting squad and to work with Frank Lampard and all of his coaching staff.Â
“I look forward to meeting my team-mates and can’t wait to get started.”
The 6 feet 5 inch (1.96 metre) stopper kept nine clean sheets in 24 Ligue 1 appearances last season, helping the Bretons to finish third and qualify for the Champions League for the first time in their history.
Although born in France, Mendy, 28, opted to represent Senegal at international level.
Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia said: “As soon as Petr Cech (technical and performance advisor) and our technical team identified Edouard as the most suitable goalkeeper to complement our existing group, there was only one player we wanted to bring in.
“Edouard arrives following a season of real success with Rennes. He is ambitious for more, and we welcome him to our club.”
Kepa, who cost Chelsea Â£72 million in 2018, has proved error-prone and was dropped twice by Lampard in favour of 38-year-old Willy Caballero last season.
He made another high-profile mistake against Liverpool on Sunday, gifting possession to Sadio Mane for his second goal.
EPL players left divided over keeping Black Lives Matter slogan on shirts
Premier League players are divided on whether to keep the Black Lives Matter (BLM) slogan on their shirts and have left a decision on the sensitive issue until just days before the new season. The Premier League has said the decision rests with the players, whose views will be aired at a pre-season meeting of the club captains this week. The Mail on Sunday understands that some players want to continue with the slogan. The representative of one BAME player indicated that the individual in question felt ‘very strongly’ about the slogan’s part in the ongoing fight against bigotry and two lead. But several sources have said that players are aware of the controversy the message attracted last season when the BLM message was hijacked by a group of extreme activists. They do not want to put themselves at the centre of an ongoing controversy and feel that would be counter-productive. There will be a wish to ensure that black and minority ethnic players are given a strong voice in the decision. Yet only two of the 20 Premier League captains are BAME: Arsenal’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Leicester City’s Wes Morgan, who also sits on the league’s Black Participants Advisory Group. Kick it Out last week reported 446 incidences of abuse during the 2019-20 season – a 42 per cent increase on the previous campaign – and the organisation’s head of development Troy Townsend said last night that he hoped the shirt slogan would be kept for the new season. He said: ‘We should not let people hijack it. It’s a message through which players have taken it upon themselves to show solidarity to their teammates – not a political message – and it’s cheap to align that to some political movement. Unfortunately, the decision has come down to the wire but I think the captains will drive the message of solidarity. I hope they are not spoken down.’ Both Townsend and Kick it Out chairman Sanjay Bhandari said that nothing had changed since the death of George Floyd in the US on May 25 became a catalyst for the show of solidarity in which Premier League players decided to wear the BLM message instead of their names on shirts. Bhandari said: ‘Racial injustice and inequality didn’t just finish at the end of the season. The players’ greatest power is to push for change and how they do that should be driven by them.’ A decision has been left to the last minute because players have only just returned to training. But it is a more complex one than the decision on whether to take knee – which is set to continue when the new season starts. The Premier League Black Lives Matter logo – designed by Alisha Hosannah, partner of the Watford striker Troy Deeney – was intended simply to send the message that it is unacceptable to treat black people differently to anyone else. But a series of tweets from a ‘Black Lives Matter UK’ account included anti-Israel messages, with calls to de-fund the police and remove Met Commissioner Cressida Dick. The group’s Twitter feed has hijacked the distinctive black and yellow colour scheme of the original US campaign and has built 77,000 followers, with a crowdfunding campaign which has attracted donations of more than £1million. The group has refused to disclose whom its leaders are. Some players feel strongly that this extreme fringe group should not be allowed to block a message which many feel strongly about. Bhandari said: ‘The sentiments of the Black Lives Matter movement mean different things in different countries. In the context of British football, we want to see more black coaches, more Asian players, boardrooms that are not all white and all male and reductions in discrimination and an end to online hate. What we now have to do is translate gestures into action because gestures on their own are meaningless.’ Townsend cited the boycotts staged by NBA and NFL stars and tennis player Naomi Osaka over the shooting of Jacob Blake, a black man, as evidence of the need to maintain solidarity here. ‘The level of protest has only progressed since the end of last season,’ he said. The Premier League issued a statement when the rogue group’s activities came to light, saying it was ‘aware of the risk posed by groups that seek to hijack popular causes to promote their own political views’ and that ‘these actions are entirely unwelcome and are rejected.’ A compromise on the Black Lives Matter slogan would be the introduction of an alternative type of anti-racism messaging on shirts, though the imminent start of the season creates little time to design and agree on one. Logistically, it is not a problem that the decision will be reached possibly 72 hours before the first games of the new campaign. Two shirts must be prepared for each player in the 30-man squads and the task of embossing either players’ names or a slogan is one day’s work for Premier League clubs’ kit staff.
Man United captain Harry Maguire released from Greek police custody
Manchester United captain Harry Maguire was released from Greek police custody Saturday, TV footage showed, pending a hearing on assault charges on the island of Mykonos.
Local TV footage showed Maguire leaving a courthouse on neighbouring Syros island, apparently accompanied by members of his legal team, and boarding a dark minivan.
His lawyer Constantinos Darivas had earlier told Greek sports website gazzetta.gr that the England centre-back had denied the charges, and was in “fine condition” despite spending two nights in detention since his Thursday night arrest.
Greek TV channel Mega said Maguire’s father had flown to Greece to be at his son’s side.
The case is being heard on the island of Syros, the administrative hub of the Cycladic island group that includes Mykonos.
The local prosecutor is expected to set a date for the hearing.
The £80 million (88 million euros) defender was arrested late Thursday after what Greek police described as an “altercation” between two groups of British tourists on Mykonos.
Mega said Maguire had become enraged after someone in the other group struck his sister.
A Greek police statement on Friday said that three men aged 27, 28 and 29 had been arrested in Mykonos.
The police said an officer was punched on the scene, and that a second fight had broken out at the local police station where the three men “strenuously resisted (arrest), pushing and striking three officers.”
The suspects are accused of assault, resisting arrest, verbally insulting and threatening the arresting officers, and attempted bribery, the police said.
Four Mykonos officers sustained slight injuries in the fracas, the authorities said.
Mykonos is popular with sports stars and celebrities for its all-night nightlife and beaches.
United on Friday said in a brief statement they were “aware of an alleged incident involving Harry Maguire in Mykonos last night.”
“Contact has been made with Harry, and he is fully co-operating with the Greek authorities.
“At this time we will be making no further comment,” the club added.
United’s 2019/20 season ended Sunday in a 2-1 defeat to Sevilla in the Europa League semi-finals.
But the club will be back in pre-season training in two weeks and could begin the new Premier League campaign in less than a month.
On Monday, Maguire had tweeted after the elimination: “Time to go away, reflect, recover and be ready to come back stronger next season.”
Ghana face Equatorial Guinea in an international friendly in October
Views: 5 MySoccer24.com can report that the Black Stars will take on Equatorial Guinea in an international friendly match in...
Martinez header hands Bayern Munich UEFA Super Cup victory
Views: 2 Javi Martinez wrote more UEFA Super Cup history for Bayern Munich on Thursday as his header in extra...
Chelsea sign Senegalese goalkeeper Mendy from Rennes
Chelsea on Thursday announced the signing of goalkeeper Edouard Mendy from Rennes on a five-year deal for a reported fee...
OFFICIAL: Atlético Madrid sign Luis Suárez
Views: 4 Barcelona have made official that Atlético and the Catalan side have reached an agreement for the transfer of...
Andy Cole insists Ole has to be ‘good salesman’ to convince players to join
Views: 1 Andy Cole has boldly stated that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has to be a ‘very good salesman’ in...
Premier League outcasts: Mesut Ozil and Xherdan Shaqiri among ‘Big Six’ stars in exile
Views: 3 After two weeks of Premier League action, it is beginning to seem clear who is in favour...
African Nations gear up as International Football resumes in October.
Views: 15 CAF member states prepare for the resumption of international football in the continent next month. Football in the...
CAF President, Ahmad congratulates Ghana’ s President Nana Akufo Addo on his appointment as Chairman of ECOWAS.
Views: 19 The Confederation of African Football (CAF) boss Ahmad has extended his words of congratulations to the Ghana president, ...
India 2021 U17 World Cup qualifier: Cameroon’s coach summons 28 players
Views: 10 The coach of the U17 Indomitable Lionesses Stéphane Ndzana has called 28 players who will take part...
CAMEROON Indomitable Lions: The list of 32 players preselected by Antonio Conceiçao Olivera
Views: 80 Cameroon’s indomitable lion’s gaffer Antonio Conceiçao Olivera, has released through Facebook a list of 32 preselected players for...
OFFICIAL: Asian World Cup qualifiers matches will be rescheduled to 2021
Views: 21 In light of the current COVID-19 situation in many countries, FIFA and the Asian Confederation (AFC) have jointly...
UAE’s Ajman Club Signs Cameroonian Striker In Their U-19 Team
Ajman Football Club base in Ajman in the United Arab Emirates, UAE, have boosted their striking options with the signing...
Cambodia suspend all football tournaments across country to combat COVID-19
Views: 24 Cambodia has become the latest country in Southeast Asia to suspend all footballing activities including the 2020 Cambodian...
Former Myanmar national team captain Yan Aung Kyaw to retire at the end of 2020 season
Views: 26 Yangon United and Myanmar veteran midfielder Yan Aung Kyaw has announced that he will retire from professional football the...
Stephanie Catley scores winner as Melbourne City edge Sydney FC 1-0 in W-League Grand Final
Views: 18 Melbourne City FC edged Sydney 1-0 in the 2019-20 W-League Grand Final at the AAMI Park in Melbourne...
Health of players, officials and fans always our priority, says AFC amidst COVID-19 disruption
Views: 17 The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) has said that the health of the players, officials and fans is their...
Reports: Football Federation Australia set to suspend A-League season due to COVID-19
Views: 12 Football Federation Australia (FFA) is reportedly all set to announce the suspension of the 2019-20 season of A-League...
Philippines good enough to play against any team anywhere: Azkals coach Scott Cooper
Views: 20 Philippines national football team coach Scott Cooper believes that the Azkals have made tremendous leap in quality during...
Korea Football Association turns national training centre into COVID-19 treatment clinic
Views: 26 The Korea Football Association (KFA) has decided to transform its state-of-the-art National Football Centre in Paju into a...
Singapore starlet Ikhsan Fandi’s potential move to Norwegian top division club held up due to COVID-19
Views: 33 Singapore international striker Ikhsan Fandi’s potential move from Norway’s second division to its top flight has been held...