Juventus boss Maurizio Sarri discussed Thursday’s 1-1 Coppa Italia first-leg draw away to 10-man Milan.
Maurizio Sarri said Juventus’ “growth has stalled” but the under-fire head coach is not worried after the Serie A champions snatched a draw against Milan in the Coppa Italia.
Cristiano Ronaldo’s controversial 90th-minute penalty saw Juve escape with a 1-1 draw away to 10-man Milan in the first leg of their semi-final showdown on Thursday.
Coming off a shock defeat at Hellas Verona, which allowed Inter to move top of the Serie A table last week, Juve were far from their best again as Milan impressed.
Ante Rebic’s 61st-minute opener looked set to be enough for Milan to secure first-leg honours, until Davide Calabria was harshly penalised for a handball at the death – Ronaldo making no mistake from the spot.
Juve have only won one of their past four matches in all competitions but Sarri is not unconcerned as pressure mounts amid links to former coach Massimiliano Allegri.
— JuventusFC (@juventusfcen) February 13, 2020
“This is a sport and so much depends on the physical and psychological conditions of so many players.
“Our growth has stalled a little in the last three weeks, we concede avoidable goals. Having said that, we’ve conceded only three more than the best defence in Serie A, so it’s not that much of an issue.”
Sarri added: “We did better in terms of our passing and playing out from the back but were lacking in the final third. It’s a process and we are continuing.
“We have conceded some avoidable goals, for example today the cross was quite slow and – in my view – easy to defend. We were coming off a bad performance in Verona, but picked up a positive result, especially as it’s the first leg.”
Juve – 13-time Coppa Italia winners – will welcome Milan to Turin for the return leg on March 4.